Friday, November 11, 2005

This and Other Novembers to Come

I decided yesterday that I liked November. The sound of it, the look of it, the events that surround it. This and the past November revolved around my exam (and no, Matthieu, I have not heard yet), and who knows if that will persist? But I've decided not to let that circumstance, which eventually will just be a thorny memory, cloud over the decision that I will like many Novembers to come.

I also noticed this morning that I don't dot my I's. This brought me back to the memory of sometime in the third grade when I decided to stop dotting them. I had a teacher then whose penmanship was, well, awesome. Neat, straight, orderly, gender-neutral. You know how, at that age, you fall in love with so many things, even handwriting. I practiced emulating her penmanship and eventually the dotted i's were phased out. But this may not translate well into the adult working world, even if I made it past many years of handwriting-scrutinizing teachers. As recently as a few months ago, I was asked in a work setting to please dot my I's.

So if you ever see some threatening note, some ransom note, something handwritten and no i's are dotted -- well, now you know its likely source.

Have spent much of the week at work researching local, state, and federal funding opportunities for city redevelopment. I'm becoming increasingly well-versed in this body of literature -- knowing the acronyms of these agencies, even loan terms. A small part of me actually enjoys it because it is a real life SimCity or Civilization. It's not too different than consulting my Treasury Advisory about how many shields are left so I can build an aqueduct in Athens.

OK, it's totally different. But revisiting the same principles somehow adds credence to my days as a greasy computer dork.

I'm going to the Brewery Artwalk tomorrow, then jetting to my Italian lesson. I skipped Italian for the past two weeks because of New York City and because I got lazy after partying out in Santa Monica. Would be nice to have a weekend for once where I don't have to recover from anything.

New York Memory of the Day: Crossing the street and seeing a full-blown Mary-Kate copycat. (Or was she "channeling" MK? It was far more intense than that.) She had the oversized sweater, the large boho jewelry, the too-big sunglasses, and the Balenciaga-like bag with tassles. She also had tousled reddish hair, just ratty enough to look perfectly windswept. I took all of this in when we passed by one another crossing the street. The kicker? She was easily three times MK's size. Close, but no cigar.

Anyway, it's just amazing to see that little Michelle Tanner is a New York style muse. Practically an icon. Cue sentimental music here.

1 Comments:

At 6:23 AM, Blogger e*star said...

karen i went to the brewery on saturday with my girlfriend chris (the friend that was w/me at the standard dt when i bumped into you). inspiring, at best, no? at best.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Hit Counters eXTReMe Tracker